Popular Posts

Thursday 5 January 2012

To-Dos!

Okay - so I've been thinking about the whole "resolutions" thing... and how I never ever really do them. And while I'm sticking with "seeking happiness" for 2012, I think I need to make a list of To-Dos.

If you know me at all in "real life" - you'll know that I'm big on lists. In fact, I actually LIKE organising things... I just hate having to do it over and over and over. And let's be honest, with an almost 2 year old and an almost 4 year old in the house, I do a lot of things over and over.

But I'm thinking that if I give myself a list of things to do, then maybe it won't feel as daunting as saying 2012 RESOLUTIONS (please imagine RESOLUTIONS being said in the deepest, slightly scary, booming, movie announcer type voice - because that's how it sounds in my head).

And because - dear blog readers - I just love you so much, I've decided that I will share my list.... and my very likely failures to actually complete said list, and my not-so-likely-but-at-least-remotely-possible successes as well!

To start!



Things To Do - 2012

1. Organise and purge in each room of the house. One at a time, and with purpose. Less junk, more space would be nice. Donate items that are still useable.

I think this one will be do-able. There's a TONNE of resources out there for organising, even plans for how to organise, lots of neat storage tips, etc. My fave of course is from Martha Stewart - and if you want to check it out, you could go here: Martha Stewart - Organising Tips, or seriously - just google "organise your life" or something, there's LOTS out there.

2. Read more.

I used to read a lot - voraciously, even - but when you have to put down the thing you're reading about 15-ga-jillion times every time you pick it up, it gets old fast. I've restarted the same book about 10 times now... I never seem to make it past page 63.... yeah.

3. Learn new things.

I got a new sewing machine for Christmas - I'm going to try and learn every single feature that little beauty has. I've already tried shirring for the first time EVER (and I LURVE it) and I'm going to continue to try and try and try until I'm a much better seamstress than I am now.
I'd also like to try and learn a totally new skill. What that skill might be, I don't yet know - but if I find something, I'll let you know. And now I have to stop saying "skill" because it's making me think of Napoleon Dynamite.... "nunchuk skillz.... bowhunting skillz...." Totally.

4. Spend more time being silly with my kids.

Kids are great at being silly. Mine are spectacularly silly sometimes. I think in my search for happiness 2012, I need to spend more time wearing funny dress-up hats, playing with toy cars or trains, or drawing or something. Maybe just dancing around or laying on the floor laughing. That would be good.

5. Walk more. WAY more.

In fact, this is one that I'm actually already in the process of planning. Yes - my life is so strange sometimes that I actually need to plan to go for a walk. But it's more than "walk over to Mom's, drop off random item, walk home".... more like - twice a week in January walk 1 km. Up that to 4 times a week in Feb. Up that to 2km/4x a week in March, and so on. Maybe in the summer I'll ride my bike more or something. That would be good.

6. Say "no".

Okay - I'll admit right now that this will be a tough one for me. Last year I said that my "resolution" was to "not hold myself emotionally responsible for other people's happiness". Well - let's just call that a colossal fail. Because it was. I. Am. A. Pleaser.  But one of the best things I've learned recently is that saying "Yes" to everyone else is actually saying "no" to other things. So I have to remember that saying "Yes" to extra church commitments is like saying "no" to more time with my kids. Or, conversely - saying "no" to someone else is OKAY because really I'm saying "Yes" to my family time. See? It's a good way for me to think.

7. Plan a "date night" with hubby at LEAST once a month.

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HAHA HA. Okay, I'm done laughing. I can tell right now that this probably won't happen EVERY month... but a girl can dream huh?

And..... well, that's all I can think of for now. But I will update when/if I think of any more.

And now.... I think I need a cup of tea.... and find that book. At least I know what page I'm on.


Tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - but please, be polite, be nice - and no trolls!