Popular Posts

Sunday 7 July 2013

What Mama Wears: A Shorts Story - Pin to Real Life Style Challenge #4

My goal is to do a round 10 posts of the P2RL style challenge issued by Sarah of Sarah's Real Life. So I'm almost half way there!

I got these sailboat print shorts at Old Navy last summer and they got a LOT of wear - I expect it'll be the same this summer. And I love them, and I love most print shorts I see... but here's the issue I have pinterest.
Why... WHY are all these women wearing HEELS with SHORTS?
I'm sorry - I tried, I mean, I put them on, I looked in the mirror, I walked around my house... and I felt... ridiculous. I mean, RI-DIC-U-LOUS.

I just can't do it. Shorts go with flats in my little world, and these super cute navy boat shoes that I got at Walmart for a whopping $9.00 sure do the trick.


I did love the sleeveless button down and printed short combination in this pin - and it inspired me to pair this high-low sleeveless button down I have in my wardrobe with these print shorts - instead of my go-to white tee-shirt.

 

So here's my version:






These are, by far, the shortest shorts I own. I have some rules about shorts.

1) They must not be tight to my leg from hip to hem - if they are, then they're leggings, and as we've discussed before - leggings are not pants. I have some leggings that fall into this category, they're worn with tunics or short dresses... why? Say it with me, because leggings are not pants - or shorts for that matter

2) they must be at LEAST 3 inches long in the inseam. These shorts are exactly 3 inches long. I do know that for certain. I know that because I keep a tape measure in my purse and I measured them before I bought them. Why at least 3 inches, because anything less than that enters clearly into Daisy Dukes territory... and this mama ain't no Daisy Duke in shorts. Lawdy no.

3) they must not have any text on them, specifically nothing written across the rear end. Yes, I grew up in the 80s and 90s. YES, I did at least once in my lifetime wear some form of pants or shorts with some word or another emblazoned across the a**. Those. Days. Are. Over. Mamas do not wear words on their butts.

4) I must like them. Now, this seems like a "duh" kind of rule, but how many times have you tried something on and your spouse or friend or whoever goes "Oh! They're so cute on you!" and you're like "Meh... I don't know....." and then you buy them because that person convinced you and then they sit in your drawer for like EVER and then you wear them because you feel guilty and blah blah blah blah blah. SO. Not. worth it. If I don't like 'em, I don't buy 'em.

And since these shorts fit all of those categories I got them, and another pair (in green with polka dots) last summer and wear them tonnes. Success.

There, that was a shorts story. Not a very short story, but it was, in fact, about shorts.

Tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - but please, be polite, be nice - and no trolls!