Popular Posts

Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine.............


Ah, Valentine's Day. A day where some embrace the cheesy, lovey quality of an admittedly corporately created holiday, and some rail against the proclamations of love and hearts and flowers and chocolate and all that's sweet.

I had a friend on FB remind everyone this morning that St. Valentine is actually the patron saint of bees, epilepsy and plagues. I wished him many plagues of seizing bees. I do what I can.



I, for one, like Valentine's day. I know it's commercialized, and largely a money grab... except that I don't generally BUY anything for Valentine's day, so they're not getting much $$$ out of me. The hubs asked what I wanted for a gift and I told him chocolate, of course - with one stipulation. That he not buy it until tomorrow. Hey - I love him and everything, but I'm also cheap. :P

I like to encourage my kiddos and friends to embrace the spirit of Valentine's day. It's a day that's totally devoted to telling those we share our lives with that we care about them. What's wrong with that? It doesn't have to be done with a $7 card and a $20 box of chocolates. How about an extra long hug? Telling them things that you appreciate about them that perhaps go unsaid for the rest of the week. This morning I wished my littlest two valentines all my love, told them I'm proud of the little men that they are becoming, and then sent the big'un off to school... with 30 cupcakes for his class - homemade of course.

I'll be baking a cake for the hubs and the kiddos today... I think they want chocolate. And we're all making a point to give lots of extra hugs, kisses and I love yous throughout the day.

So Happy Valentine's day! I don't believe it's a day for "couples only", or even explicitly for romantic love. It's a day to tell those around you that you care about them and appreciate them for who they are.

Plus - how could I hate a day that has sweets... when they go so well with tea. ;)

Tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - but please, be polite, be nice - and no trolls!